Department of Anesthesiology - Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center
An urban, tertiary, government-owned hospital in Cebu City, Philippines.
63 pediatric patients, age 1 to 6 years old who underwent appendectomy from July 2008 to June 2009.
Results and Conclusions:
Majority of the pediatric patients with appendicitis who underwent appendectomy were given combination analgesics. Although different regimens were used, it still resulted to low pain scores in the majority of the patients at the Post-anesthesia Care Unit.
General Objective :
To determine the pain management regimens of post-operative pediatric patients admitted at Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center from July 2008 to June 2009.
1. To determine the demographic profile of pediatric patients who underwent appendectomy at VSMMC from July 2008 to June 2009.
2. To determine the analgesic regimens used for post-operative pain management of pediatric patients who underwent appendectomy and evaluate which management produce favorable pain scores to the study population.
3. To determine the pain scores at the Post-anesthesia Care Unit of the post-operative patients after an appendectomy procedure.
1. Barash, Paul G., Bruce, F. , Stoelting, Robert K.. Clinical Anesthesia. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. (5th ed.)
2. Evans, R. Mark. American Medical Association, Continuing Medical Education Program. 2009.
3. Baroudi, Dina N.S.. "Post Operative Pain Management in Children" The Internet Journal of Health (2008):
4. Aiken, John J., Oldham, Keith T.. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Saunders., 2007. (18th ed.)
5. Hurley, Robert W.. Miller's Anesthesia. 2009. (7th ed.)